Thursday, October 12, 2006

Howdy.
This is my first time...so be gentle.

Lets talk abot a very special friend of mine...INK.
Not a day goes by when i'm trying to ink something and it goes terribly wrong.

Back at Graphic School (around 1998) we had to do lots of stuff with ink during the first two years.
Someway "simple" yet hard stuff.
We had to do a grid. Frist draw a fine 0,39 inch spaced grid with a pencil on a 11x17 inch board and then ink it with a brush.
This is really good for beginners to seize control over their tools and learn to work their way through a very repetidive task.
Before even think of inking Cap America or anything else-practice this.
But that's where I discovered my "curse".
I was almost finished with a quarter of the paged inked and decided to made a break.
I left my bottle of ink open and was rocking on my chair (bad idea-you all know what comes next). BAM!
After cleaning up the mess i made it was starting over time.
I made a new grid and started inking when someone was passing by my desk. BAM!
Huge brushstroke. Basquiat would not have minded it.
So i had to do the whole thing again at home.
I knew i had to use something to keep me awake because i was a "little" behind scedule.
A good cup of coffe placed far away from my drawing board should do the trick.
At two o' clock I fell asleep and woke up an hour later...
with a grid on my face.
In the end I could finish it without any major screwups.
I got better but i always make some mistakes when i'm inking.
And I guess everyone does.
Grid coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment