Tuesday, January 23, 2007

2004-2007: The Making Of Skeletor

Jep I'm back and I've got something old and new.
Back in 2002 I was all hyped up about Masters of the Universe. I tried to get my hands on everything I could find back then. I drew so many stuff related to that series it was quite insane.
In December 2004 i started drawing this picture of Skeletor.



I looked at a lot of sketches, drawings and studies of Leonardo Da Vinci
and I had the toy standing next to my drawing board. Like Emiliano Santalucia (the artist on the MotU comic book) i tried to nail down every detail the toy had, the sculpt had tons of them.
then something unfortunate happend...the drawing fell behind a closet...
damn! I stayed there for a long time and somehow I forgot about it.

December 30th 2006, I was showing my girlfriend some sketches and drawings I did a few years back. Suddenly, I remembered the drawing again, moved the closet away and found the unfinished Skeletor.
On the next day I reworked the drawing, even inked the figure and the basic background.


I thought I was finished with it.

January 10th 2007, I picked the drawing up again and felt that I was NOT finished.
So I started working on the background.
I was looking for more mood, darkness and depth. C'mon, after all, Skeletor is the overlord of evil. Since the "dark hemisphere" of Eternia is not overgrown with plants and basicly rock and lava, I could play with some different techniques and go crazy with details. I took me some time. Two days ago I finished it.

And here it is the last revision with full background.


Hope you'll enjoy it.


Take care.
Cheers

B

3 comments:

  1. WOW! What a "Lee Bermejo-ish" background!!!

    Cool. The skull wand is very interesting.

    Always happy when you post new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ehy B!
    How ya doin'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao B

    Hope this new american job will be great. You deserve it ;-)

    Greetings

    Fab

    ReplyDelete